Step into the world of outdoor cooking and treat your taste buds with a mouthwatering recipe!
We combined the simplicity of campfire with the flavorsome goodness of chicken skewers. These delectable skewers, filled with marinated chicken and fresh vegetables, are sure to elevate your camping experience to new heights. So, gather around the campfire and let's learn how to make the dish!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 cucumber
- 1 red onion
- A handful of cherry tomatoes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- 1 cup rice
- Greek yogurt (optional, for serving)
Step 1: Preparing the Chicken
- To start, cut the chicken breasts into small, bite-sized cubes.
- In a bowl, combine the chicken cubes with a generous drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper, and a pinch of salt. Mix the ingredients well, ensuring each meat cube is coated with the seasoning.
- Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 30 minutes, allowing the flavors to penetrate the meat and enhance its tenderness. The longer you marinate, the more succulent the chicken will become.
Step 2: Cooking the Rice
While the chicken is marinating, it's time to prepare the accompanying rice.
- Heat a small amount of olive oil in an iron pan over the campfire. This adds a smoky essence to the rice.
- Add the rice to the pan and toast it for a few minutes until it becomes slightly golden, infusing it with a nutty aroma. This step adds an extra layer of flavor to the dish.
- Pour water into the pan, following the recommended ratio. Bring the water to a boil, allowing the rice to simmer gently until fully cooked. Adhere to the package instructions for precise cooking time.
- Once cooked, set the rice aside, keeping it warm until serving. Its fluffy texture will perfectly complement the succulent chicken skewers.
Step 3: Preparing the Vegetables
To add a refreshing crunch to our skewers, let's prepare the vegetables.
- Slice the cucumber into thick circles, ensuring they are substantial enough to stay securely on the skewers.
- Next, halve the red onion and then quarter it, creating manageable pieces that will impart a subtle sweetness when grilled.
- Lastly, remove the green part from the cherry tomatoes to expose their vibrant hue.
Step 4: Assembling the Skewers
Now comes the creative part—arranging the ingredients on the skewers.
- Take your skewers and begin alternating between threading marinated chicken cubes, cucumber circles, red onion quarters, and cherry tomatoes. The combination of flavors and textures will provide a delightful culinary experience.
Feel free to experiment with the order and arrangement of the ingredients to suit your preferences. Remember, presentation is key, even in the midst of the great outdoors.
Step 5: Cooking the Skewers
- For the ultimate campfire cooking experience, heat an iron grill pan over the flames or utilize a portable stove. Add a drizzle of olive oil to the grill pan, allowing it to heat up and create tantalizing grill marks.
- With caution, place the assembled skewers onto the hot grill pan, ensuring they cook evenly on all sides.
- Turn the skewers every five minutes, allowing the chicken to become thoroughly cooked and the vegetables to achieve a delectable charred edge.
Step 6: Serve and Enjoy
Once the skewers have achieved a perfect level of tenderness and char, carefully remove them from the heat and transfer them to a serving plate.
For an extra touch of indulgence, serve the camping chicken skewers with a dollop of creamy Greek yogurt on the side. The yogurt's tanginess will balance the flavors and add a delightful cooling element to the dish.
Gather your fellow campers, savor the tantalizing aromas, and relish in the satisfaction of a delightful outdoor meal. These camping chicken skewers are a testament to the wonders that can be created with simple ingredients and a little culinary creativity.