We are making the traditional Greek chicken gyro! Bursting with Mediterranean aromas and a delightful blend of spices, this dish is a perfect harmony of succulent chicken, refreshing vegetables, and a tangy yogurt sauce, all wrapped in warm chewy pita bread. With each bite, you'll be transported to the sun-kissed shores of Greece, savoring the rich culinary heritage of this beloved Mediterranean gem.
Without further ado, let's learn how to make the perfect Greek chicken gyro for your next camping trip!
To bring the authentic flavors of Greece to your plate, you will need the following ingredients for our Greek chicken gyro:
- 400g of chicken meat
- 2 lemons
- 200g of Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of wine vinegar
- Spice: Salt, black pepper, oregano, garlic powder, cinnamon, cumin, and chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 tomato
- 1 onion
- Olive oil
- Fresh dill
- Pita bread
Step 1: Marinating the chicken
Begin by preparing the chicken for marination. Here are the steps:
- Cut the chicken meat into thin strips, ensuring they are of similar size for even cooking.
- Place the chicken strips in a larger pot and squeeze the juice of one lemon over them.
- Next, add the Greek yogurt and wine vinegar to the pot. Season generously with salt, black pepper, oregano, garlic powder, a pinch of cinnamon, cumin, and, if desired, a sprinkle of chili pepper flakes for a touch of heat.
- Thoroughly mix all the ingredients together, ensuring that each piece of chicken is well coated with the marinade.
- Cover the pot with foil and allow the chicken to marinate for a while, allowing the flavors to penetrate the meat and create a delectable taste experience.
Step 2: Preparing the Garnish
While the chicken marinates, it's time to prepare the fresh and vibrant garnish for your Greek chicken gyro.
- Start by slicing the cucumber and tomato into circles, and thinly slice the onion into half circles.
- Set these aside as they will add a refreshing crunch to your gyro.
Step 3: Creating the tzatziki sauce
- For the creamy and tangy yogurt sauce, take the remaining portion of the cucumber and cut it into small cubes.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cucumber cubes with Greek yogurt, a dash of black pepper, a drizzle of olive oil, the juice of half a lemon, finely chopped fresh dill, a pinch of garlic powder, and a sprinkle of salt.
- Mix everything together until well combined, creating a delightful sauce that will complement the flavors of the gyro.
Step 4: Cooking the chicken
- In an iron pan, add a drizzle of olive oil and allow it to heat up over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the marinated chicken to the pan, ensuring to include all the flavorful marinade as well.
- Cook the chicken until it is dry, using a wooden spoon to press and break apart the meat, creating a tender and juicy texture. The goal is to achieve beautifully charred edges while maintaining the chicken's moistness.
Step 5: Heating the pita bread
To assemble your Greek chicken gyro, it's important to have warm and soft pita bread as the base. Heat up the pita bread in a toaster, oven, or on a stovetop grill until it becomes warm and pliable. This step ensures that your gyro is easy to assemble and enjoyable to eat.
Step 6: Assembling the gyro
Now it's time to bring all the components together and assemble your tantalizing Greek chicken gyro.
- Begin by spreading a generous amount of the yogurt sauce onto the heated pita bread.
- Next, layer the cooked chicken over the sauce, allowing its enticing aroma to intertwine with the creamy flavors.
- Finally, garnish the gyro with the sliced cucumber, tomato, and onion, adding a vibrant touch of freshness and crunch.
Enjoy the Greek chicken gyro
With your gyro beautifully assembled, it's time to savor the delicious flavors you've created. Take a moment to appreciate the aroma and visual appeal before taking that first delightful bite. The combination of tender chicken, tangy yogurt sauce, and refreshing garnish enveloped in warm pita bread is a true culinary delight. Repeat the process for additional servings and share this mouthwatering Greek chicken gyro with family and friends, or simply indulge in it as a satisfying meal for yourself.